Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Man could face death row for scaring woman to death

(Taken from NewsChannel 36, Glenn Counts)

GASTONIA, N.C. -- A man accused of breaking into an elderly woman's home and frightening her to death made his first appearance in court Monday, accused of murder.

In an effort to get away from the police, Larry Whitfield is accused of breaking into the home of Mary Parnell. Parnell, 79, had a heart attack, and prosecutors have blamed Whitfield.

Despite being warned about his right to remain silent, Whitfield spoke before the court Monday.

"I didn’t mean for none of this to happen," Whitfield said. "I'm a good kid, I just made a careless mistake. All I ask is that you give me a decent bond, even house arrest. I ain’t never been in trouble in my life, your honor."

In fact, before Friday, both Whitfield and Quanterrious McCoy could have been considered good kids. They have clean records and graduated from Harding High School with honors. McCoy's mother told the judge about her son's background in the hopes that he would reduce his $175,000 bond.


Read on...

No comments: