Friday, December 19, 2014

Cedric Hobbs Gets Life in Cumberland County

After the State spent three months trying to get death against Cedric Hobbs, a jury hung on the issue of punishment, resulting in a sentence of life without the possibility of parole. The press is reporting the jury was hung 11-1 for death.

At sentencing, Hobbs told the victim's family: "I apologize most to Mrs. Harris' family," he said. "I know they don't want to hear me talking. I know they probably think I'm just a monster without a heart who don't care. I can see they are good people. I can also put myself in that position because I would want restitution. Even though I know I don't deserve any type of sympathy, I ask for forgiveness from the family and everybody here that hates me right now."

Studies show that the State's decision to proceed capitally costs more than $500,000 more than proceeding non-capitally, rarely results in a death sentence, and even more rarely results in an execution.


No comments: